Nothing says Christmas like vibrant velvet. This holiday season I am crushing hard on jewel-toned velvet. Emerald greens, sapphire blues, blush pinks and burgundies (ruby reds are reserved for Santa) - all combined with the timeless glam of gold. It's a rich and luxurious combination, but it doesn't have to cost a fortune to bring it into your life.
I can't help but think of holidays past with this Golden Girls style of the 80s. Fast forward to my "grunge days" (not to be confused with punk days) in the 90s; I remember feeling fabulous, albeit angsty, as I headed out for the season with a velvet baby doll dress and high laced Doc Martens. I'd love to get a hold of that dress now. So, here we find ourselves on the cusp of 2018, with this trend still going strong as jewel-tones promise to be a hit in the new year. Particularly cooler hues like blue and violet (or, ultra-violet as announced by Pantone yesterday). Enjoy this updated take on velvet and gold glam. Happy holidays, swell friends!
Here are a few of my favourite ways to bring velvet and gold into your life:
- Solid Gold (11x14) Art Print by Swell Made Co. Bring some solid gold into your space with this simple art print.
- Paloma Brass Bar Cart by CB2. Mix drinks and mingle in style with a classic bar cart like this one from CB2. Combined with sparkly glasses and your favourite libations, holiday parties will be a breeze. Designed by Leonhard Pfiefer.
- Black Velvet Choker Necklace from La Maison Simons. Add a little velvet to your outfits with this simple velvet choker.
- Hojas Cubana, Rainforest Pillow by Tonic Living. There's something about velvet and gold that just begs for tropical patterns. Bring the tropics home with this pillow that's made in Toronto.
- Keira Velvet Ottoman by Structube. Available in a variety of jewel-tones, this foot stool is an easy and affordable way to bring chic elegance into your space without investing in a big ticket items like a sofa.
- Gold Acrylic Monstera and Boss Keytags by Swell Made Co. Glam, retro, simple. These gold acrylic keytags are a sweet way to adorn your keys and bags. Hang on the stockings, perhaps?
- Gold Rimmed Seafoam Ombre Glasses from the Cocktail Emporium. You've got the bar cart. Now, add the glassware and all kinds of accessories from Toronto's Cocktail Emporium. Also available in fuchsia and coral.
- Velvet Elowen Chair from Anthropologie. Another perfect combination of velvet and gold, these chairs come in a variety of bright colours to bring home. Whether it's at your dining room table, hall or office.
- Pink Monstera (11x14) Art Print by Swell Made Co. This blush pink art print pairs perfectly with this decor style (and many others) with it's versatile look.
For more inspiration, head to Pinterest to see some of my favourite modern and bold spaces with velvet and gold. Click the images below to see the original sources. Thanks for reading!