So, you've purchased an art print. It will become a meaningful part of your home or office. But first, you need to frame it. Why? To protect that investment you’ve just made and to display it proudly. If you’re so inclined, head to a custom frame shop and leave it to the pros (like Creartive Custom Framing in Toronto). If not, framing doesn’t have to cost fortune. Here’s a quick guide to doing it yourself (or with a little help).
USING A READY-MADE FRAME
- Simple is Best - Choose a simple and neutral frame to allow your art print to be the focal point. Clean lines and finishes are best, and black or white are perfect neutrals. They are timeless, coordinate with any decor, and work well when creating a gallery wall or pairing art prints.
- Size Up - Your frame should be larger than your art print to create visual impact and a focal point. This includes the mat.
- Use a Mat - Pre-made frames often come with pre-cut mats. If you’re using the pre-cut mat, make sure it is the proper size for your art print (the window should be the same size, or 1/4 in. smaller for a slight overlap). If the pre-cut mat doesn’t fit your art print, you can have one custom cut by a frame shop or art supply shop. Just give them the dimensions of your art print and frame, and they’ll be able to help. Use the guide below. Mats typically come with 2-4 in. around the art print with a little extra on the bottom to provide weight and composition. You can choose any size or orientation you like, just be sure your frame can accommodate the mat. The larger the mat, the more dramatic and larger the frame.
Shop Around - Good quality, pre-made frames aren’t hard to find. Visit retailers like CB2, West Elm, IKEA, art supply shops (Michael’s/DeSerres), Indigo, or HomeSense (in Canada). You can even do it all online with custom frame supplier Simply Framed.
SWELL MADE CO. MAT GUIDE
MINI ART PRINTS - 5 in x 7 in
SMALL ART PRINTS - 8 in x 10 in
LARGE ART PRINTS - 11 in x 14 in
- Determine the size of your art print. When in doubt, measure it.
- Choose a frame size. Remember to size up from your art print.
- Determine the mat size. The window should be the same size or 1/4 in. smaller than your art print (no more, you just want a slight overlap). If the pre-made mat doesn’t fit, get one that is custom cut.
Each Swell Made Co. art print will now come with a framing guide! That way, you can frame your art print with ease and get it up on the wall quickly. Click here to download the guide. Enjoy!